MAHAMANTRA

HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA
KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE
HARE RAMA HARE RAMA
RAMA RAMA HARE HARE

Friday, July 25, 2008

My Analysis of Gita - 1: Arjuna getting confused

When the son of Kunti, Arjuna, saw all these different grades of friends and relatives, he became overwhelmed with compassion and spoke thus:

My dear Krsna, seeing my friends and relatives present before me in such a fighting spirit, I feel the limbs of my body quivering and my mouth drying up. My whole body is trembling, and my hair is standing on end. My bow Gandiva is slipping from my hand, and my skin is burning. I am now unable to stand here any longer. I am forgetting myself, and my mind is reeling.
I foresee only evil, O killer of the Kesi demon. I do not see how any good can come from killing my own kinsmen in this battle, nor can I, my dear Krsna, desire any subsequent victory, kingdom, or happiness.
O Govinda, of what avail to us are kingdoms, happiness or even life itself when all those for whom we may desire them are now arrayed in this battlefield? O Madhusudana, when teachers, fathers, sons, grandfathers, maternal uncles, fathers-in-law, grandsons, brothers-in-law and all relatives are ready to give up their lives and properties and are standing before me, then why should I wish to kill them, though I may survive?
O maintainer of all creatures, I am not prepared to fight with them even in exchange for the three worlds, let alone this earth.
Sin will overcome us if we slay such aggressors. Therefore it is not proper for us to kill the sons of Dhrtarastra and our friends. What should we gain, O Krsna, husband of the goddess of fortune, and how could we be happy by killing our own kinsmen?
O Janardana, although these men, overtaken by greed, see no fault in killing one’s family or quarreling with friends, why should we, with knowledge of the sin, engage in these acts?
With the destruction of dynasty, the eternal family tradition is vanquished, and thus the rest of the family becomes involved in irreligious practice.
When irreligion is prominent in the family, O Krsna, the women of the family become corrupt, and from the degradation of womanhood, O descendant of Vrsni, comes unwanted progeny.
When there is increase of unwanted population, a hellish situation is created both for the family and for those who destroy the family tradition. In such corrupt families, there is no offering of oblations of food and water to the ancestors.
Due to the evil deeds of the destroyers of family tradition, all kinds of community projects and family welfare activities are devastated.
O Krsna, maintainer of the people, I have heard by disciplic succession that those who destroy family traditions dwell always in hell.
Alas, how strange it is that we are preparing to commit greatly sinful acts, driven by the desire to enjoy royal happiness.
I would consider it better for the sons of Dhrtarastra to kill me unarmed and unresisting, rather than to fight with them.

No comments:

Quotes

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's order in Chaitanya Caritamrita was everyone should practice Krishna Consciousness and give it to everyone. Take up Krishna Consciousness and distribute it to everyone we meet.
yare dekho tare kaho Krishna
updesh
Whoever you meet, tell them about Krishna

*********************************************

iha yasya harer dasye
karmana manasa
gira
nikhilasv apy avasthasu
jivan-mukta sa ucyate

A person acting in the service of Krsna with body, mind, intelligence and words is a liberated person even within the material world, although he may be engaged in many so-called material activities. (Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu 1.2.187)

*********************************************

anyabhilasita-snnyam
jnana-karmady-anavrtam.

Pure devotional service can be attained only when it is uncontaminated with jnana and karma.

*********************************************

anasaktasya visayan
yatharham upayunjatah
nirbandhah krsna-sambandhe
yuktah vairagyam ucyate
prapancikataya buddhya
hari-sambandhi-vastunah
mumuksubhih parityago
vairagyah phalgu kathyate


When one is not attached to anything but at the same time accepts everything in relation to Krsna, one is rightly situated above possessiveness. On the other hand, one who rejects everything without knowledge of its relationship to Krsna is not as complete in his renunciation.

*********************************************